Google

Web V2-Forum.com

View Full Version : Transmission fluid, primary fluid?

jream
28th May 2011, 22:02
i did search FYI!

what is everyone using for their transmission fluid and for their primary fluid?
i'm wanting to change them both but the results from the search seem a little off...

some say mobile 1 vtwin synthetic 20/50 in all 3 holes, other say specific fluid for each...

i'm just wanting to get the right stuff!

swifty
29th May 2011, 01:58
Ok You will get a bunch of different answers on this one. Some people like using one type of fluid in all 3 holes because its convenient!! To me that"s BS I spent a lot of money on my bike and try to baby her, so why would I go cheap or convenient when it comes to fluids.
1 Motor gets mobile 1 Vtwin synthetic 20/50 {or if you prefer Amsoil}
2 Transmission gets Bel ray big twin transmission fluid.

Bel-Ray Big Twin Transmission Oil

Bel-Ray Big Twin Transmission Oil is a multi-grade 4-stroke V-Twin transmission oil formulated for sliding contacts of gears in heavily loaded 4-stroke transmissions. It provides superior anti-wear, smooth shifting and reduces gear noise.

3 And in the primary I use Bel ray primary chain case lube
Bel-Ray Primary Chaincase Lubricant is premiumy motorcycle oil specially formulated for the primary chaincase of all big twin motorcycles. Ideally suited to stand up to high pressures, its exclusive Bel-Ray antiwear chemistry ensures long service life for the primary chain. Superior oxidation protection for extended performance, and prevents clutch slipping and chatter for consistent engagement. Distinctive red color makes it easier to detect leaks in multiple lubrication cavity engines

The moble I buy in my local auto zone store but the Bel-ray I buy online a few bottles at a time so I always have some on hand... When I first used the bel-ray I found my trany shifted smoother and neutral is easy to find

swifty

MC7
29th May 2011, 12:22
Drag - for all three for now...

American IronHorse required conventional motor oil through the 2000 mile S&S break-in period. Then synthetic was optional. So, once I get beyond 2000 miles I'll use Synthetic in the S&S - most likely Amsoil.

I did the second oil and first primary & transmission a week ago at 500 miles.

gusotto
30th May 2011, 09:55
I use cavity specific oils for each (3).
Been using Spectro brand.
I really like the Spectro 6-speed for the tranny.

Skydiver
3rd June 2011, 01:17
+1 on the Spectro 6-speed trans. I also use Spectro primary oil in the primaryand Vtwin synthetic 20/50 in the engine with an S&S oil filter (31-4102 filter). Don't use the wrong filter ie the one for a Harley Twin Cam, too small of a micron filter.

ironsteelers
12th June 2011, 14:00
Ditto with SkyDiver. I use Mobil 1 20w/50 synthetic in motor w/ K&N oil filter, Spectro 6-speed in Tranny, & Spectro heavy duty chaincase in Prmary. No Problems Here. Just make sure when you put new Tranny Fluid in you do it VERY SLOWLY. :tour

RigidDoc
17th June 2011, 01:58
Question...Why not use one weight synthetic (20W50) in the motor, tranny and primary? I have been turning wrenches on anything with wheels for quite some time and syntethics are the way to go. Better wear and heat protection than Dino oil. Most major V-twin makers are recommending synthetics and using syn 20W50 in all three boxes. In my opinion, it's not laziness, but progress. Better developed and tested fluid with the added plus of being able to carry one quart of one product that can top off your big components on long trips. Oh, and one more question. If I'm running syn 20W50 in my motor, is the micron filtering in a HD filter still too small?

ironsteelers
17th June 2011, 16:40
I prefer to use fluids designed for specific parts. Tranny fluids for trannys, Primary fluids for primarys, Motor oil for motor. I guess it is just a matter of choice. As for your oil filter,What is the H-D's filter micron? I do not know. Ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers. I believe they are available in 5 micron (designed for twin cams) or 10 micron. With the BIG V- TWIN ENGINES s&s recommends 20 microns or higher 30 if you can find one. K&N's claim they are 20 microns. That is why I went with the K&N 170c Plus they are easy to get off with the nut attached to the filter. The BIG V-Twin Engines need this high rate of oil flow.(So They Say)

Green Goblin
12th July 2011, 18:07
Where do you guys order your fluids from? or do you pick them up at a local place?

swifty
12th July 2011, 22:38
mobile 1 20/50 syn for v twins I get at Autozone. The rest J&P cycles.com

Jersey James
13th September 2011, 06:38
Hello: So while we are the transmission topic. What type of lubricant, can I use in my Road Max six speed. I use the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 & sometimes Spectro Platinum 75W-140 (both full synthetic) in my Baker 6 speed transmissions in my other bikes. OK to use in the Road Max 6 speed?????? Thanks.

Jersey James
22nd September 2011, 15:14
I'll ask again; what weight transmission oil is best to use in the Road Max????? Is the Spectro or Amsoil 75W-140 too thick??? Thanks, in advance....

MC7
22nd September 2011, 17:54
I'll ask again; what weight transmission oil is best to use in the Road Max????? Is the Spectro or Amsoil 75W-140 too thick??? Thanks, in advance....

2007 Texas Chopper w/ 6 spd Roadmax
From my '07 Owners Manual:

Fluid Capacities:
Fuel Tank Capacity 5 gal (Outlaw and Tejas)
3.5 gal (Legend, LSC and Texas Chopper)
Transmission 24 oz
Primary Fill to bottom of clutch diaphragm spring
Oil Reservoir w/Filter 98 oz
Front Forks (each) 12 oz

ITEM - DESCRIPTION - American IronHorse # - Alternative
Transmission Fluid - Super S 80W-90 GL5 - X15000201 - Drag Specialties MC4-8090

Brake Fluid - DOT 5 Bel-RayŽ - X31000200 - Drag Specialties MC-25

Primary Fluid - Castrol MTX - X21000201 - Drag Specialties BA-6327

Hydraulic Clutch Fluid - DOT 5 Bel-RayŽ - X31000200 - Drag Specialties MC-25

slammerzilla
22nd September 2011, 18:00
I use redline... did what it said it would.. I also heard that amsoil is excellent... 20/ 50, most of the guys will tell you these roadstash trans are subject to certain hickups..(just read the old threads.. tittle transmission)... some use synthetics some don't.. I just went and talked to the old fart who runs a shop near me..since those O.T.D know everything...so please read some of the trans threads and I hope you get a answer

hutch52
22nd September 2011, 18:47

Everybody has their favorites. I used Amsoil 75W-140. Google these oils for the white papers for comparision of oils

Jersey James
22nd September 2011, 20:31
Thank you, gentlemen: So I assume 24 oz of the Amsoil 75W-140 will be OK. I have had real good luck using it in my other two bikes (both with Baker 6 speed OD trans). I understand that the AIH service book, calls for 80W-90 GL5, and my orginal question is, would the thicker 75W-140 be to heavy of a lube for the Road Max Transmission. Thanks again, this is really a great informative site....

vman
25th September 2011, 22:06
Are the Roadmax tranny's the original tranny's they put in these bikes? I am not sure what the original was I thought it was a roadmaster or something. I was told you would not get more than 3k miles out of them and mine got 2999 before it went out and I replaced it. I use Redline tranny and primary fluid. Mobil1 in the crank happy with both. Smooth shifting no issue's runs cool.

swifty
26th September 2011, 03:15
What did you replace your tranny with? What brand? or did you just have it fixed?

vman
26th September 2011, 15:22
Mine was replace with a acssesories unlimited 6 speed RSD. 3 year unlimited replacement. Chrome was $1500.00. With Redline in there it is so smooth it would blow your mind. Love it and bad azz through the gears.

rgrstetson
5th June 2012, 17:10
2007 Texas Chopper w/ 6 spd Roadmax
From my '07 Owners Manual:

Fluid Capacities:
Fuel Tank Capacity 5 gal (Outlaw and Tejas)
3.5 gal (Legend, LSC and Texas Chopper)
Transmission 24 oz
Primary Fill to bottom of clutch diaphragm spring
Oil Reservoir w/Filter 98 oz
Front Forks (each) 12 oz

ITEM - DESCRIPTION - American IronHorse # - Alternative
Transmission Fluid - Super S 80W-90 GL5 - X15000201 - Drag Specialties MC4-8090

Brake Fluid - DOT 5 Bel-RayŽ - X31000200 - Drag Specialties MC-25

Primary Fluid - Castrol MTX - X21000201 - Drag Specialties BA-6327

Hydraulic Clutch Fluid - DOT 5 Bel-RayŽ - X31000200 - Drag Specialties MC-25

Just to pose this out there as the manual simply states to fill the primary to the bottom of the clutch diaphram spring, is a two quarts adequate to purchase is I am changing the fluid? I am using Lucas Primary Chain Lube which I am ordering off the net meaing I do not want to be short for my fluid swap. Thanks all, great info on this thread...

vman
5th June 2012, 17:27
I use a qt of redline in the primary.

rgrstetson
5th June 2012, 17:34
Thanks brother!

LSCMan
5th June 2012, 18:01
seems like it was more than a quart when i did mine before the belt drive... i dnt remember but i thought it was more

if ordering off of net i would just order like 3 quarts then you know you have enough and possibly enough to change next time

vman
5th June 2012, 18:30
Mines never taken more than a QT. I know in the tranny I use redline as well and there is still some left in the qt when tranny fluid is changed.

Skydiver
6th June 2012, 00:18
1 qt should do it.

svarnster
10th July 2012, 17:54
I put redline primary fluid in my 2000 electra glide and it took all the clunking out of it and made it so smooth i used mobile 1 syn in tranny 20-50 oil in motor

RMIST
10th July 2012, 18:25
+1 for BELRAY or Amsoil 20/50 in motor and BELRAY in tranny fluid and primary chain lube..... I can get it all from local auto parts

LSCMan
10th July 2012, 19:45
question here... wife just stopped at harley place with drag specialties part number MC4-8090 which is an old number and they say it crosses with belray gear oil 80w-90 so she got it... now i read where you guys put belray big twin tranny fluid in... will the belray gear oil work in my tranny???

service manual just says 80/90 hypoid trans fluid so im tryin to make sure im not screwing up by putting 80/90 bel ray gear oil in... not sure if they are the same thing or what

adex
2nd January 2013, 08:08
I just replaced my transmission, and replaced all the fluids, my local bike shop carried revtech fluids for primary, tranny, and engine. The transmission took 24oz, primary 1 1/2 quarts(on edge of spring), and engine 2 1/2 quarts with new filter. Are revtech fluids ok for AIH's?

gusotto
2nd January 2013, 12:07
Revtech fluids are fine. Everybody has their own opinion regarding brands.
Best bet is making sure the fluids get changed. Life-blood of the bike.