Google

Web V2-Forum.com

View Full Version : REVIEW - Big City Thunder Baffle p/n2002 for V&H Big Radius 2>2

MC7
24th July 2011, 14:11
I expect delivery today of a pair of Big City Thunder baffles to fit my V&H Big Radius 2>2 exhaust. I thought it would be interesting to see if there's a difference.

Installed the Big City Thunder Baffles p/n 2002 designed to fit the V&H Big Radius 2>2.

INSTALLATION -
The baffles were very easy to install. You can leave the pipes attached to the motor and leave the mounting bracket intact. All you need do is remove the rear halves of the heatshields from the pipes. Do this by loosening the rear-most worm gear clamp (exhaust opening end), and then completely undo (but leave in place) the clamp to the right of the mounting bracket. Undoing this clamp allows it to pass by the mounting bracket.

With the heat shields off, remove the V&H baffles. One came out easy, other did not. I took an old screw, inserted from inside the V&H baffle, clamped onto with vise grips, stuck a screwdriver through the vise grips, and whacked the screwdriver shaft with a hammer. Took awhile, but it came out. This was the hardest part of the installation.

With the inner pipe exposed, you now pick a spot to drill a 1/4 inch hole. The directions call for drilling a hole at least 6" from the pipe's end. If there is an obstruction such as a clamp in the way, then drill the hole deeper into the pipe towards the motor. I drilled the holes 7 inches from end. Each baffle must be inserted the same distance from the exhaust opening to maintain symmetrical performance. If you look into the exhaust opening, the hole is at a 3 o'clock position. The location was chosen to ensure the heatshield covers the new baffle's attachment screw head.

To easily align the baffle's thread hole with the drilled hole, I inserted a hook into the baffle's hole. This allowed me to not only push the baffle up the pipe, but also rotate to align holes. When aligned, the hook poked out the pipe hole. Carefully remove hook, insert screw with thread lock and tighten with your hex wrench.

Replace the heat shields and tighten the clamps.

HOW ARE THEY?
Two rides later, I'm pleased with sound and performance. To me, the sound has a deeper pitch, and at least right now I like it better. I also found there is a lot less snapping on deceleration. So, for now I'm pleased with this purchase and installation.

FUTURE?
Two things ...
1. Getting this on a DYNO and rejetting is needed once the breakin is over.
2. I may also think about purchasing the more quiet baffles p/n QBL1845. Since swapping shouldn't be that hard, I may decide to try a quieter baffle for rides into hostile cities.

Monsoon
24th July 2011, 19:06
Are they louder than the V&H Radius baffles you replaced? I have the same pipes and I thought they already had a deep sound. And for db's, my neighbors say they hear me coming from way down the street already. I also never had any experience with snapping or popping on deceleration. I've been extremely happy with my pipes.

My last set of pipes on my BDM Chopper were PY Crack Pipes and they were insanely loud. I much more prefer my V&H's.

Good write up. And BTW - How much were the baffles and length of time to install?

MC7
25th July 2011, 12:28
Are they louder than the V&H Radius baffles you replaced? I have the same pipes and I thought they already had a deep sound. And for db's, my neighbors say they hear me coming from way down the street already. I also never had any experience with snapping or popping on deceleration. I've been extremely happy with my pipes.

My last set of pipes on my BDM Chopper were PY Crack Pipes and they were insanely loud. I much more prefer my V&H's.

Good write up. And BTW - How much were the baffles and length of time to install?

I could have and should have measured the dB before & after - DUH !
They may be a little quieter, but this may be merely the pitch has changed and with a lower pitch it seems quieter.
I'm going to order the QBL1845 baffles as these are supposed to be quieter. When they arrive, then I'll measure the V&H, BCT 2002, and BCT QBL 1845.

Cost was $79.95 for the BCT 2002.

Time was pretty quick. As mentioned hardest part (most time spent) was extracting one V&H baffle. I also spent a few minutes draping rags - I stick them under the seat's edge and let them hang down over painted surfaces. Then its remove the heat shields, read the directions, measure, read the directions again and measure again, mark pipe with a Sharpie, I stuffed a rag up the tail pipe behind and beyond where hole was to be drilled to allow drill chips removal by rag extraction, center punch and drill, remove rag, slide in baffle and attach mounting screw, reinstall heat shields, clean and shine chrome, remove rags. Done.

SIDE NOTE -For those with a Texas Chopper (I can't say how other models will work out) using a flat table lift (not an under frame lift) it is pretty tight getting the V&H baffle out of the lower pipe as it will hit the table surface - rotating the baffle helps. With bike on ground leaning on its kick stand or elevated on a frame lift, you should have adequate clearance.

AFTERTHOUGHT -Maybe I should have pumped up the air shock???

MC7
29th July 2011, 18:39
Equipment Used -
Radio Shack Digital Sound Level Meter cat. # 33-2055.
Tripod.

Setup -
Meter set on tripod, inline with exhaust, 9 feet behind exhaust, and elevation same as exhaust. All measurements at Idle, 1000 RPM.

Unless Otherwise Noted -
Measurements taken inside a 24'x24' garage; on a lift table (lowered); garage door open.

Meter Settings -
Scale = 100
Weighting = "C"
Response = "Fast".

Measurement #1 -
Heat Shields Attached
Big City Thunder BCT2002 Baffles installed
97dB Measured

Measurement #2 -
Heat Shields Removed
97dB Measured

Measurement #3 -
Heat Shields Removed
No Baffles installed
100dB Measured

Measurement #4 -
Heat Shields Removed
Big City Thunder QBL1845 Baffles installed
94dB Measured

Measurement #5 -
Outdoors (not in garage)
Heat Shields Removed
92dB Measured

Comments -
This is an unscientific comparison, is not at throttle, nor in accordance with State(s) methods of measurement.
To more accurately measure, I need to repeat the above with a helper and know how states measure the dB level.

Irish_one
29th July 2011, 20:11
I just bought Quiet baffles for my V&H short shot staggered. and could not be happier. the orig baffles (if you want to call them that) were "LOUD as all get out" people would hear me coming for miles away too.
But with the originals I noticed some choppiness in throttle response from, where as the quiet baffles ended up giving more back pressure and a nice low growl. Don't get me wrong when I come down on it it's still loud, but overall it's a much smoother all around.

Oh yeah, and for me, by the worst part of the replacement process was getting the heat shields on and off.

Monsoon
30th July 2011, 00:26
Equipment Used -
Radio Shack Digital Sound Level Meter cat. # 33-2055.
Tripod.

Setup -
Meter set on tripod, inline with exhaust, 9 feet behind exhaust, and elevation same as exhaust. All measurements at Idle, 1000 RPM.

Unless Otherwise Noted -
Measurements taken inside a 24'x24' garage; on a lift table (lowered); garage door open.

Meter Settings -
Scale = 100
Weighting = "C"
Response = "Fast".

Measurement #1 -
Heat Shields Attached
97dB Measured

Measurement #2 -
Heat Shields Removed
97dB Measured

Measurement #3 -
Heat Shields Removed
No Baffles installed
100dB Measured

Measurement #4 -
Heat Shields Removed
94dB Measured

Measurement #5 -
Outdoors (not in garage)
Heat Shields Removed
92dB Measured

Comments -
This is an unscientific comparison, is not at throttle, nor in accordance with State(s) methods of measurement.
To more accurately measure, I need to repeat the above with a helper and know how states measure the dB level.

Great info. I think you did great "unscientific" tests with measurable results. Too bad you didn't get the db's for the V&H's before you took them out. Be interested to see the db's for them.

Thx
Monsoon

MC7
30th July 2011, 13:03
NOTE: I screwed up my entry for test #5, and have corrected my original post. When outdoors, the installed baffles where QBL1845, and NOT the 2002 baffles.

If I have time this weekend I'll take more readings oudoors. Perhaps I can setup in an isolated area and do a few drive bys.

Does anyone know how state tests are performed?
At what speed/RPMs, if actively driven? Distance? Position?
If static, at what distance and position? RPMs?

MC7
17th August 2011, 17:21
Bottom Line -
I'm very, very pleased with the QBL 1845, both in sound and audible level.