Google

Web V2-Forum.com

View Full Version : Roadmax or Baker Transmission

stillwater
10th June 2011, 13:44
I have been told that AIH only installed Roadmax transmissions in their bikes. But I talked to a guy yesterday who is selling a AIH and he says that some bikes came from the factory with the Baker, as an offered upgrade.

What's the deal?

Orange Skullz
10th June 2011, 18:25
Some of the earlier models 2003 and back "may" have had Baker trannys.

Upgrade offer...........NEVER HAPPENED

stillwater
10th June 2011, 18:33
Thanks,

That's what I'm thinkin.

MC7
11th June 2011, 13:51
What about in later years, didn't AIH install something other than Roadmax?

Motovet03
11th June 2011, 14:37
So Roadmax is the only option for my 05 TC?

stillwater
11th June 2011, 15:33
The guys AIH of Huntsville tell me the Baker will bolt right up if you ever need to swap it. Just be ready to cut loose of some cash. Baker's are significantly more expensive.

MC7
11th June 2011, 15:38
I just sent an email to JIM'S asking if they ever supplied to AIH and if not, will any of their transmissions retrofit AIH. I'll report back what I learn.

Orange Skullz
11th June 2011, 16:40
Jims supplied to AIH back in the early 2000's....same as Baker.

...Dae Poong is the tranny you might have heard about in the 2004's and up. Made in Korea, sent to the states and SOLD as Roadmax.

A Baker will set you back upwards of $2000 - $2500, a rebuilding of you Roadmax/Dae Poong will be $1g or so...and should be fine. I've heard of guys putting 150+hp to them and being fine.

hutch52
11th June 2011, 18:19

My 2003 Legend is a 6 speed JIMS close ratio. I think most earlier ones were JIMS

Markgc
12th June 2011, 19:37
My 2000 has a Jims 5 speed

Monsoon
12th June 2011, 23:23
Mine just works real well!!!! No problems and I hope it stays that way for long time to come. Summer is hitting Phoenix now. So as most of you guys are getting your bikes our from winter storage, mine is basically going in storage now for the next 3 months...

i can ride early in the morning and head north, but if we do that we need to stay the night and leave early in the morning. When it get's over 105, it's just bloody hot.

So my 06 TX chop tranny is working well. I thought it was a Baker, but as long as it keeps working, that's all that matters to me.

swifty
12th June 2011, 23:58
When I first got my bike I too thought it was a Jimms. I called jimms the rep told me that in the early years {around 2000} they supplied the 5 speed trannys to AIH , But if the customer wanted a 6 speed they got something else most likely road max. I have not had any problems with my tranny and I hope it stays that way!!

MC7
13th June 2011, 17:37
I had a very nice round of emails exchanged with Denise at JIMS.

Denise says:
"JIMS did AIH's 5-speeds and just a handful of 6-speed Right Side drives. If it is a JIMS transmission then your case serial number will begin with "JM......" "JM" for JIMS and then a series of six "alpha" and "numeric" items indicating date codes and production dates." So if you DO have a JIMS (and only a JIMS - and NOT a Roadmax or Baker) then if you contact JIMS Denise said: "If you could provide a case serial number we would be able to trace the transmission and let you know exactly what you have."

stillwater
14th June 2011, 04:08
Talked to Baker today. They tell me a new 6 speed for the 2005 AIH Texas Chopper is $3,800 and some change. Hope my Roadmax holds on for a spell.

RigidDoc
21st June 2011, 19:18
Read a really good article a couple months back about Baker Trannys. They said they run so expensive because they keep it 100% American made. Even the smallest of parts that they cannot make in-house, they resource only from "American made" distributors. Therefore, their overhead is higher, so we pay more. But, seems like a smaller price when you know you're keeping Americans working.

corvettefever
10th September 2011, 21:18
So how can you tell which one you have....I don't see any markings? :confused

stillwater
10th September 2011, 21:29
My '05 TC doesn't have any stamps, either. I assume that is because it is a RoadMax. I have a couple of friends with Big Dogs. Their trannies are stamped by Baker.

RMIST
11th September 2011, 13:30
All Bakers have thier name on them !! In two places...one on the trap door and other on backside towards rear tire.

corvettefever
11th September 2011, 16:37
2004 six speed, standard left side drive, with no markings that I can see...maybe on bottom?

Otherwise I assume its a generic God knows what?

Reason I want to know is I'm putting in a lite clutch mod and I need a new right side cover gasket.

Orange Skullz
11th September 2011, 18:35
^^^ it's a Roadmax

holesnipe
11th September 2011, 18:44
On my 06 TX Chop there is molded on the primary side of the tranny case 'roadmax'

07classic chop....
12th September 2011, 02:21
was told it was a baker but found out that it is a revtech...mine is a 07 classic chop left side drive 6 speed

RMIST
12th September 2011, 03:13
07' Classic chop... You sure it's a revtech? How did you find that info ?

plumb crazy
12th September 2011, 05:13
Just pulled my Roadmax out and replaced with a Ultima. Only markings on my Roadmax was a 6speed stamp on trap door and a Roadmax cast on the primary side. (gotta take inner primary off to see it. ) Mine is right side drive on 05 Legend. So far so good for Ultima. If it breaks I'll go Baker. Just had to try it for the money... less than a grand- or - over 4 grand .

07classic chop....
12th September 2011, 14:00
Was told by a custom chopper builder that it is a revtech....all i no is that it shifts its chrome and its not a baker...
I was told so many lies when i bought my chopper from BIG TOMS i dont no what to think....I use a lot of the posts and info on here to learn more info on my scoot..Another thing that i found out is the regulator on these aih bikes that look like a block of ALUMINIUM are a big POS.... first,,, they are mounted way to low on the front of the bike....(if u preload your bike when going over a curb the first thing you will hit and rip off will be the regulator) second,,, is that there are no cooling fins on the stock alum.block ones...you can make your own mounting brkt using the same holes on your frame but move your regulator to the top part of frame ...new regulator has fins and is being cooled better because it catches more air and is in a better location than the stock one..........

Orange Skullz
12th September 2011, 21:54
My bet is your tranny is a Roadmax..........and I'll wager a 12pk on that too :cheers

Slamer
12th September 2011, 23:57
My bet is your tranny is a Roadmax..........and I'll wager a 12pk on that too :cheers

lol that's a suck bet :doh

corvettefever
13th September 2011, 02:12
So where can I get a right side cover gasket for my 2004 Six Speed Roadmax left side drive? :upeyes

07classic chop....
13th September 2011, 02:32
Roadmax seems like the common tranny in these bikes...

Jersey James
15th September 2011, 14:43
While on the tranny subject. The manual (06~LSC) calls for 24 oz of "Super S 80W-90 GL5" whatever that is. What I run in my Baker trannys is Amsoil "Severe Gear" 75W-140. Would there be any problems, running a heavier grade synthetic in a Roadmax????? I just recently purchased the bike, and would like to drain all fluids, and replace them, with the correct ones. Thanks

madmaxnj
9th January 2012, 17:50
Before i bought my bike i found an old article online from a mc magazine that did a review of the 2006 models and it said that AIH switched to all Baker trannies for 06, so that's what I thought when I bought the bike. I found out later that its not a Baker and more likely the Roadmax. Oh well, at least I got a good deal on the bike

vman
9th January 2012, 21:25
I would most impressed to hear AIH put baker trannies in any oftheir bikes. Considering everyone I have talked to or heard of all have the cheap chineese trannies. Mine went out at exaxtly 4999 miles.

SIDEWINDER
25th January 2012, 23:42
My 03' TX Chopper is a LSD 6 speed with stamping on it of D66C 0282 any ideas?

hutch52
26th January 2012, 00:00

i was told that early aihs had jimms trannys so which one ts the better tranny?????????????/

vman
26th January 2012, 08:32
Roadmax is not the only option for a texas chopper. There many options out there. Never heard of a Jims tranny in our bikes. Though they do make a good tranny right up there with Baker. For the money paying. The big bucks for the name is kinda mute, less your building the bike for power. I paid 1500 for mine and use RedLine in their and the primary and is smooth and sweet.

LSCMan
26th January 2012, 13:28
06 LSC here... no baker tranny.... ahhhh yes but another ragidy ass roadmax.. i always see ppl listing that there aih has a baker on ebay and other adds when i really think they havent got a clue what is in it... DOES ANYONE KNOW IF AIH EVER DID USE BAKER AT ALL????

vman
26th January 2012, 13:36
I"ve been around AIH bikes since 01 and never seen a production bike with a baker. 1st of all consider the cost of producing bikes and now add a Baker to it. I doubt it.

holesnipe
26th January 2012, 19:56
Never seen a baker in one yet :confused

Jersey James
26th January 2012, 21:22
Are the Road Max transmissions, really that bad??? I'm asking, haven't owned my AIH really that long. I know mine shifts real smooth and no noise. My Big Dog DOES have the Baker 6 speed and it's GREAT, but really not that much of a noticeable difference between the two.

swifty
26th January 2012, 21:34
Big Dog used Baker. Early AIH like[2001] Gave you a choice 5 speed[ jimms] or a 6 speed {roadmax}. The problem was they didnt say who made what. so most people ordered with the 6 speed and got the roadmax. I think after 2002 all Bikes came with the six speed roadmax.. I got 17000 miles on mine. Knock on wood!!!!

vman
26th January 2012, 23:08
Big Dog used Baker. Early AIH like[2001] Gave you a choice 5 speed[ jimms] or a 6 speed {roadmax}. The problem was they didnt say who made what. so most people ordered with the 6 speed and got the roadmax. I think after 2002 all Bikes came with the six speed roadmax.. I got 17000 miles on mine. Knock on wood!!!! Swifty: You have 17k on a RoadMax tranny? Really? That must be the only 1 they ever built right. Should go into a bike muesum. Everyone I talked to or know didn't 5k out of theirs. Righ on Swifty.

Jersey James
27th January 2012, 14:24
Big Dog used Baker. Early AIH like[2001] Gave you a choice 5 speed[ jimms] or a 6 speed {roadmax}. The problem was they didnt say who made what. so most people ordered with the 6 speed and got the roadmax. I think after 2002 all Bikes came with the six speed roadmax.. I got 17000 miles on mine. Knock on wood!!!!

17,000 miles, no problems~that's what I want to hear!!! It is hard to understand that a manufacturer of "High End" expensive motorcycles, would intentionally use a sub standard transmission. I know that IF and when my Road Max takes the big dump, I would replace it with a Baker 6 ~ So far, NO problems.

holesnipe
27th January 2012, 17:08
35K on my 06' chopper with the Road Max....... :ohyeah

swifty
27th January 2012, 23:28
35K huh ....and I thought I was up there with 17k.

vman
28th January 2012, 03:33
Man you guys have some miles on your bikes. Mine still a puppy, LOL! ike to keep it that way.

Jersey James
28th January 2012, 13:59
WOW!!! holesnipe with 35K miles & swifty with 17k miles; GREAT!!! I bought the LSC to RIDE!!! Now, one less thing to worry about. Do you gentlemen use either the "Amsoil Severe Gear 75w~140 or Spectro Platinum 75w~140? I've had really good luck using them.

swifty
28th January 2012, 14:09
I use Bel-ray Big twin transmission oil its an 85-140 gl5.

holesnipe
28th January 2012, 14:10
Just use the regular Rev Tech oils. Been working OK....knock on wood :thumbup

holesnipe
28th January 2012, 14:13
I use Bel-ray Big twin transmission oil its an 85-140 gl5.

I'll have to check into the Bel-Ray oils. Have you been using that since you got the chopper Swifty?

I hear that Bel-Ray may quiet it down and make it run smoother :upeyes

Jersey James
28th January 2012, 14:17
Swifty & Holesnipe: Thanks for the info. One more question, how many ounces go in the Road Max??? Thanks, in advance. JJ

swifty
28th January 2012, 14:47
yes I have been using it since I got the bike. And I noticed It was very quite and much smoother shifting. I also use their primary chain case lube.

I must tell you guys I change the fluid in all 3 holes every year. And every year there is less smudge on the magnet. And this year when when I took off the primary cover to check the gear ring and chain. I could not believe how perfect everything was, even the fluid looked like I could just put it back in!!!swifty

swifty
28th January 2012, 14:54
The manual for an o6 says 24 ounces. Just like the manual for my 03 says 24 ounces. But I have found that it take 20 ounces wet!!! JJ pm me your email I will send you some PDF files for your bike! swifty

vman
28th January 2012, 15:41
I use Redline in the primary and the tranny. The tranny is like pepto bismol and its thick, but bonds to the metals. Redline on their site shows a cut away tranny with using inferrior oils and what happens to the gears. My mechanic said that when he changes it it takes a long while to drain out, but when he refills and rides it, its the smoothest shifting tranny he's ever been on. To me its like the difference between regular oils and synthetic's. Now all car manufacture's are using synthetics fotr their engines so its gotta say something.

holesnipe
29th January 2012, 23:59
yes I have been using it since I got the bike. And I noticed It was very quite and much smoother shifting. I also use their primary chain case lube.

I must tell you guys I change the fluid in all 3 holes every year. And every year there is less smudge on the magnet. And this year when when I took off the primary cover to check the gear ring and chain. I could not believe how perfect everything was, even the fluid looked like I could just put it back in!!!swifty

Think I'll be checking into the Bel Ray for the next change up of all fluids.

Swifty...is it a once you try it you gotta stick with it type oil? Or can you change back to conventional oils if one wants too?

And that's great to hear you got some miles on your chopper too Swifty :thumbup2
When I puchased mine from Florida, I made the decision that I was gonna ride her as much as I could since I did not know if I would have another chance to purchase another bike. It's been alot of years of great riding.....even with 2 up:tour :smoke

swifty
30th January 2012, 03:12
No, you dont have to stick with it if you dont like it!! you can switch back at any time. I do use moble 1 v twin 20/50 for my motor but the other two are bel-ray as I said before.

Ironhorseman
20th March 2012, 16:15
I have a 2001 Ranger with a 107 motor which came from the factory with a Jims 5 speed...which has been and continues to be a great smooth shifting tranny (knock on wood)